Sunday 4 March 2012

la shukran (no thank you)

Well I made it to Cairo.
After dodging a highway full of cars, sipping sweet tea with arabic strangers, and trying not to get ripped off by my taxi driver (he ended up scrounging $17 out of me when I thought we agreed on $15... What a sucker) I made it to my hotel. And who should arrive at the same time but two Aussies. They showed me around the city, demonstrated how to say "la shukran," (no thankyou) to every second Egyptian and gave me confidence that I could maybe manage this whole travelling in a foreign country by myself thing...

Though i'll be honest. I don't like Cairo. At least not right now.

The idea of crazy traffic and being harrassed on the streets and floating on a dirty, albeit famous, river just doesn't really appeal to me.
I just feel like I'm trying to escape some annoying encounter with a clingy Egyptian. Or trying to avoid the shame of paying a thirteen dollars for something worth ten.

It feels like there's something missing in all this and it's to do with me.


What stops the anticipation flowing and the excitement that should await me at every broken sidewalk?

Maybe I've got a whole heap to learn over these next 3 weeks. Let's hope so. I'm buggered and it's time for bed.

1 comment: